Sunday, January 20, 2019

I am so grateful for the last 10 days of my life staying at HeartFire Farm right on the magical lake ~ Lago Atítlan. There is a lot of history here of volcanoes, storms, civil wars, colonization, and the Tzutijil Mayans, who make up the majority of the population here in Santiago, one of the many villages on this lake. Walking down the street, I more often hear people speaking Tzutijil than Spanish.  At the same time, the local alternative school is making an effort to teach the children the Tzutijil language and other aspects of the culture, so they have Tzutijil Fridays for the children because many parents don't speak the language anymore.

It seems to be a fairly simple life here in Santiago, at least from my perspective as a visitor. Yes, there are internet cafes and fast food restaurants, but also, many people get around here by walking, taking the tiny 3-wheeled tuc-tucs, or standing in the back of a pick-up truck with 20 other people. There are women down in the lake washing clothes all day every day, and you see men hauling huge loads of firewood and other heavy items on their backs. They are not immune to the problem of plastic trash here, although many of the villages are starting to ban plastic bags and straws.



All of this is happening around one of the most beautiful places I've been, a lake made famous (at least to me) by the writer Martin Prechtel.  Although not everyone in this town he once called home and wrote about prolifically adores him as much as many adore his books and teachings, I must admit it is quite amazing to be reading passages from his book about the Elbow of the Earth volcano and the Thrones of the Clouds Mountains, and then look up from the book and see exactly what he is talking about in front of my eyes.  Or to be working on the farm, and hear a woman wailing in grief at the cemetery next door, and remember the stories he wrote in his book on grieving, that according to the Mayans here, it is our tears and songs that help those who have died row across to the land of the ancestors.
All of these thoughts fill my head as I immerse myself into life on this farm, in this town. It's only been 10 days, but it feels like forever (in a good way).

Just down the hill and across the road from the cemetery, live a wonderful family ~ mom, dad, and their 9-year-old daughter. And their 4 horses, 10-15 ducks (with ducklings on the way), 2 peacocks, 3 cats, and 8 dogs (two of whom are brand new puppies).  I found this family through Workaway, a website that connects people who need volunteers with travellers looking for this kind of experience.  Volunteers work 5 hours/day, 5 days/week for a place to stay and 2 meals/day, not to mention a one-of-a-kind experience.




Every weekday morning, we shovel the manure out of the horse corral and then get on to any number of needed jobs around the farm, from compost building for their compost-heated outdoor shower, watering the bamboo and gardens, or painting/rust-proofing these metal frames which will be used to hold colored glasses over people lying on top of these meditation beds, the colors associated with your chakras.  All of these meditation beds are surrounding the temple at the top of the property. The temple is a place for ceremonies, and was built on top of an old tomb.

Things take time here on the farm, and while there are so many beautiful buildings, gardens, and animals here, it is only the beginning. There is such a rich vision for this place, and although I won't see a huge effect from my work this week, I am so grateful to be a part in getting just a little closer, and enjoying what has already been accomplished.  There are beautiful super-adobe and ferro-cement buildings, tire sculptures, and a temescal (a traditional sauna).





One of my favorite days was being invited to attend a garden planning meeting at the local cooperative school, just a five minute walk down the road from the farm, where the 9-year-old goes to school.  They are creating school gardens and outdoor play spaces for the children, and we're talking about how to incorporate all of this into the daily school rhythms and curriculum for each of the grades and pre-school. I was honored to be included, and so inspired to see this kind of environmental education happening here.




Most of this meeting was in Spanish, and I found that I understood about 95% of what was being said. And now today, I just travelled a couple hours to the city of Xela to learn Spanish.  So I have left my days of swimming at the lake, getting cocovered in duck sludge and dust, hanging out with my great new friend from England, one of the other volunteers, and looking at the stars every night so I can gain a skill I have been working towards for a while now. I will be studying in class 5 hours/day, and living with a host family. I am very excited!




















2 comments:

Srbcorke said...

So interesting to hear about your travels! I look forward to hearing more!

EarthstarMama said...

Love reading about your adventures! 💚